Thursday, November 7, 2013

1920’s Flapper Costume


                      SONY DSC
I have always wanted to dress up as a flapper for Halloween. This year I neglected to buy a costume and was just going to wear something from a year before. I was lazy and didn’t want to drive across town to my parents so I threw together a flapper costume for a last minute party I attended. It was super easy! First I looked up flapper costumes and descriptions to make sure I had a clear idea in my head. The standard costume is the fairly shorter red or black fringe dress, but I actually read that oftentimes the dress was below the knee and above the calf. I found a perfect dress hidden in my closet that I haven’t worn in years and it was just right. I grabbed a long pearl necklace I had, looped it around my neck and knotted it at the bottom. The only fishnets I had were thigh highs and they never stay up so I went with  fun kinda lacy nylons with patent leather mary jane small heels. I used hot rollers to curl my hair, but I did see this cute tutorial on how you can do the classic bob when you have long hair!  For my makeup I did a semi dark smoky eye with lots of mascara and the reddest lip gloss I could find. I really wanted a super red lipstick but when I searched, I could not find one at my house. Now for the fun part! I made the feather headband/headpiece and it was super easy! I went to the fabric store and picked up black sequin stretchy trim material, measured it around my head making sure it was tight and had them cut it. Then I really scored when I was looking for feathers, I was going to just get one large feather but they had a huge assortment! I was able to get a clump of feathers already on a clip for $3.99! I had never been to this store before so I didn’t know how much they would really have. I highly suggest the Mill End Fabric Store if you are in the Portland area. Then at home I hand stitched the piece of stretchy sequin material together to make the head band. Anyone can do this, its easier than sewing a button. So all in all, I put together an adorable outfit for $5.11! I’m use to spending at least $50 on a costume and I hate it, so I was just thrilled with this!
SONY DSC
SONY DSC
                     SONY DSC

Hope you had a wonderful time celebrating Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. So nice blog all information is so useful for me and my dance group for dance costumes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Emily! I am so glad you found it helpful!

    ReplyDelete